Friday, October 19, 2018

Some Pieces of My Life Here

I am very thankful that we have mosquito nets. We sleep under one every night. It is best to use the bathroom, have your phone and anything else you need before getting into bed. It is not that convenient is you have to get up. Ours does have side zippers so it is easier to get in an out then some. It is our preference to tuck the net in because there might be a stray ant, cricket, spider or in reality even a lizard that might crawl up the inside if it's on the floor.

I am convinced that I am more adapted then one might expect because I don't remove lizards under 4 inches from my house, because I know they eat mosquitoes and such. Any bigger then that and I figure they belong outside. I have only seen 2 small ones in my house at this point. So live and let live.

In many ways its seems like Blantyre is one continuous farmers market. In the past week I have purchased bananas, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes and green beans from the roadside. I also got fine strawberries one of the first days we were here. I could buy mangos, oranges, lemons, onions, assorted greens, yams and yesterday Lychess by the bag full. Reality is that I would have to study to know what to do with a fresh lychee.

Yesterday we ventured to the curio market. It was overwhelming. I know the artisans depend on Azunga (white people) to buy most of their wares. However for my first trip I only wanted to look and see what was available. I had a hard time saying no that many times.

Today our guard/gardener showed us that the dog had an ingrown dew claw. I had looked at her other paw and thought it needed a trim and been at a loss as to how to trim it. So I called the vet I had a number for and the Blantyre SPCA, society for the protection and care of animals. I got a live answer at the spca so that is where we went. Sweepy got her nails trimmed and the ingrown infected one cut out and shaved around, 2 shots, dewormer and flea treatment without too long of a wait and we paid 18,000 Malawian Kwatcha, which is about $25 US currency. Probably the most amazing part of the whole process was the fact the google maps gave us directions how to get there.

Our day to day life is settling to some routine. We have designated Thursday as our main day to shop for groceries and other needs. We eat fruit, yogurt and granola most mornings for breakfast, Sandwiches or leftovers for lunch and what ever I have decided I can make from whats on hand for supper. Lots of stuff with meat, veggies and gravy over rice or potatoes. Last night it was Lo Mein, tonight I am making chili. I soaked my beans over night and will cook them in the pressure cooker to save time.

When I have time I sit with my camera and try to take pictures of the monkeys. I generally see them, my camera is generally in my lap rather then focused on where I know they will pass by that time though. So I must be content with pictures of the colorful lizards and the trees and such.

We have begun language learning. I am memorizing the words pretty well but struggle with the nd sound at the beginning of words. Also there is a saying in grade school that when two vowels go walking the first one does the talking and also the silent e at the end of words. All vowels are pronounce in Chichewa. Hoping my tongue and palatte can begin making the right sounds.
 Best picture I have managed of the monkey. He was right in the yard today.Image result for malawi market   Vegetables near the road.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I think I would love those roadside produce vendors! I would likely buy more than we could use...

    ReplyDelete