Thursday, July 11, 2013

ART

I find myself favorably impressed with the art curriculum that Rafiki provides. It integrates art concepts, famous artists and creativity into the projects. These are all good things. The problems that arise have nothing to do with the curriculum.
There is not a trained art teacher to assist with the teaching in Ethiopia. I would venture a guess this is true at all the Rafiki Villages. Supplies to use in teaching art are hard to come by here. An art room equipped with a sink and proper art equipment is non existent.
These are challenges that require some innovation. Water is carried in to the class in a pitcher and dispensed into individual containers (aka used yogurt cups). Paper towels are suggested for blotters. The closest we have is napkins. Paper plates that can be disposed of are suggested for palattes. We have Styrofoam meat trays which need to be washed and reused.
Gathering all my various supplies and a willing assistant (AKA victim) I headed to the 2nd grade classroom and we tried diligently to instruct and assist the students in creating a background for their rendition of Vincent Van Goghs Starry Night.
At the end of class we have 14 sheets or art paper painted a hand mixed shade of dark blue created from blue and black temera paint. Either 2nd graders cannot or will not listen or they just enjoyes smearing paint around on their palattes but too much black mixed with blue in nearly every instance. A great deal of dark paint was removed from trays to add more blue.  Assistant fell victim to splashing paint water from the mop and floor drain in the work room where supplies had to be cleaned. Several students decided it was fun to embellish their faces with paint. We were greatful they didn't embellish the walls as well.
On the positive side we do have a start on the project. Two very fine young ladies from 2nd grade did a phenomenal job cleaning up. We have learned several things from this. We need a third helper for the remaining painting days. We need to seriously ration the black paint. Having fun is part of the process so we need to keep a sense of humor.
I am somewhat concerned that the generally well behaved 2nd graders had much trouble not making a profound mess and following instructions and painting with the less well behaved 1st graders is coming up.
I can do it I can do it I can do it I can do it. I can do it.
We will try to have fun

1 comment:

  1. What a trouper you are!!! You do what you are asked with such relish! You are amazing. I know the first graders will be a real challenge but just think of all you have learned with the first round! I can see you now in my mind in the clean up area.... what a disaster! I hate messes so it is better for you than me. I know the ROS there are thrilled you are doing this for the kids. The ROS simply run out of steam at times and having a willing "Mini" is such a blessing. Thanks for the posts as I LOVE reading them and it is usually my laugh for the day. It will all too soon be over. Hope you can avoid further "sicknesses".

    ReplyDelete