Sunday, July 21, 2013

Mille Fiori ???

One of the items I brought with me to Ethiopia was 2 multi color packages of Sculpey III clay.

I had arrange for all the 1st and 2nd grade girls to work on this craft. That is only 11 girls but they are young and don't always follow directions really well and they don't always understand.
Today they behaved almost perfectly! Yeah! and we had a great time. I explained to them just two techniques for making beads and they all liked the swirled ones and that simplified things greatly.

We got the small color blocks of clay passed out and with varying degrees of quality they made quite a large quantity of beads. They were absolutely engrossed in the project and most ended up with some pretty fine beads. They all got to make two sets with different color combinations. Later we will string the beads for necklaces and bracelets. I have got the all baked now which to a while in the pint sized oven at my disposal.

Now to really call this mille fiori is probably a real stretch but these girls created something they find beautiful with their own hands and when we string them will have enough to share with all the children here. I can't really think of a much better way to spend my Sunday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment