Friday, September 13, 2019

Culture???


The Things I do
I am an azungu (foreigner) in this culture.
I do a lot of things to fit in to the culture.
I dress appropriately about 95% of the time, wearing long skirts and modest tops or dresses. I occasionally where jeans of work out clothes when I am not doing anything related to my work or ministry.
I am slowly learning to speak and understand others speaking Chichewa. I make an effort with greeting people and taking time to hear about them. That is important here.
Generally, I let my husband lead in matters of dealing with our guards/gardener/house helper in all things except general in the house things. That is seen as my domain.
I try hard not to directly express anger and disapproval. Those of you who know me well know that is an uphill battle.
It seems as I learn more about this culture I learn more and more things that I do that just don’t fit in.
I talk walks, kuyenda chabe I say when people ask me where I am headed, that means just walking. Malawians don’t generally take walks just to walk.
I also carry my camera and take pictures of birds which while my neighbors have gotten used to they still find it odd and amusing.
I walk my dogs. I don’t think until recently I really realized how this is not a cultural norm because I see people walking dogs, esp. out in my neighborhood. Now I hear they are taking them for flea baths.
I am pretty weird about my dogs not eating trash which is a common part of most animal diets here.
I also provide the best veterinary care available for my pets in a country where good medical care is often difficult to find.
I bake, sometimes a lot. Traditionally Malawians have not baked. All food has been cooked over a fire and they do make a few things that are quick bread like in a sort of dutch oven but baking is not really part of this culture.
I think that mostly I get by even though I don’t always fit in mostly because I spend time with people and I greet them warmly in Chichewa. Now my Chichewa is still pretty sad but Malawians seem to universally respond better to most things you do and say if you make an effort to speak their language.
So I go on walking the dogs and taking pictures and baking cakes and cookies and I keep working on my language.
Chabwino, Its all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment