Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Highs and Lows


The church we attend here is currently doing a series preaching through Joshua and that is the title of the series. This week they will be crossing the Jordan river into the promised land. Definitely a high!
I borrowed this title to talk about the highs and lows of life in Malawi.
Highs for me as anyone who follows me on Facebook should now definitely include our dogs. My very silly, naughty but nice puppy gives

me great joy and my big strong black shepherd makes me feel safe. They are a blessing.
Every day I see birds in greater variety then would ever be the case in the states. I also see wonderful blooming plants. The tree by my bedroom window is nearly constantly in bloom with vivid hot pink blooms. It’s jacaranda season and they purple blossoming trees are blooming their hearts out. Frangipani which can be a variety of colors are coming into bloom, and soon the flame trees will be bright orange red. My soul is fed by these beautiful things.
I have continued to be fascinated by the local wild life. If you ask my family they will tell you mom always wants to visit zoos. Here with in an hour or so drive I can see zoo animals in their natural habitat and I continue to revel in that opportunity.
This week we had another high as we managed to decipher the new e portal and submit documents to bring new missionaries into Malawi. That was preceeded by a big low but still we are thankful.
One more thing that I see as a high and may amuse some is that I have become more accustomed and tolerant of the many odd things that show up in and around my house. Yesterday that was a blue centipede. Sometimes it’s an amazing large fast moving spider or an over grown roach. Slowly God has given me the grace to deal with these things.
Lows are really greatly missing my family. This is more pronounced as I realize I have missed a year of their lives now. There have been big events that I would love to have been a part of, especially of late. I am convinced we are where God has called us to be for many reasons but it does not always stop the second guessing.
We are going on a week of little or no internet in our home. This is hard. I do my keeping in touch with the world at home all through the internet. It is frustrating when it doesn’t work. Thankfully it has been relatively stable at the office. 
All the lovely flowers and birds and blooming things also mean allergens. I am not sure if it is the blossoms or the smoke from burning leaves and trash that are bothering me but I have been plagued by sinus headaches. It is also a distressing thing that much garbage is just thrown out and litters the whole world here. Our pastor referred to the blue plastic bags which are abundant as being the national bird. I often am focusing my camera on a bit of colored plastic off a ways thinking it might be a bird. 
The house where we live here is my only “home” and it has problems. I am so thankful for many good things in our house but we also have a badly damaged ceiling and mold issues that have been a struggle to get rectified. Our rent is paid every month, but our landlords motivation to deal with problems is not active every month. We believe this is going to be resolved in the next week or so. We also believe the leaking roof which caused the problem has been effectively repaired.
Another particular low for me is fellowship or more appropriately lack thereof. I work in an office with all men. I go to EBCoM to work in the library at select time and see all men. I have nothing against all these men but I do need female companionship in my life. Somedays there is none. In this area I am thankful because Andrea Richter will be back in country today and I will see her most days going forward. I have also become much more comfortable with relationships and fellowship at our church and the life group I have joined. Many of these people are Malawian nationals but their English is better than that of my neighbors so meaningful communication is much easier for me with my limited Chichewa (it’s growing but I don’t think I have a natural gift at all) and the neighbor ladies limited English.
My ministry role was seriously hampered when the system for processing documents at immigration changed. It was very hard to realize that what I had struggled to learn was largely invalidated. I am also feeling like I am still struggling with my alphabet soup (NPL, IPS, MO’s, PRF’s etc.) I make progress but it is slow as it’s all through manuals and long distance communication.
So there is a large mix of things but through the past months and closing on a year, God has shown himself faithful in many ways. I watched a Louis Giglio video that showed up in my facebook feed. I have started reading John Piper’s “Don’t Waste Your Life”. I have reflected on the good gifts. GOD is Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment