Monday, May 27, 2013

Getting Ready

About an hour ago I started a list of things to buy or find in the next four days. Four days from now I will be on a plane bound ultimately for Addis Ababa Ethiopia. From there I will travel to Mojo to spend two months at a Rafiki Children's home.
While there I will teach, tutor, complete office work, lead crafts, games and activities, and I hope read lots of stories to eager young people. This is an opportunity for adventure and broader horizons but it's also a chance to see this mission first hand and see how they work.
At this point Ted and I have considered going to Africa long term this is a step for me to assess God's calling on my life and my ability to handle life in another culture where my roll will be as a caretaker to needy people in a unfamiliar setting for me.
You can check out the Rafiki organization at
www.rafikifoundation.org
or as rafiki foundation on facebook
If you are on facebook and want to see the Ethiopian village in particular Ritter's, one of the long term staff couples there have a facebook page under Ritter Rafiki Village Ethiopia.
I will be trying to post a couple times a week with some stories and adventure while I am there. Not sure how much bandwidth I will have available but I plan to make the best use of what I can get!
Sooooo back to packing.
Lori Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment