Sunday, June 9, 2013

Perceptions

The children here are amazing in many ways.
The system of cottages with 10 children and a momma works well. They welcome new young ones and treat the brothers or sisters in their cottage as siblings. Actually they all seem to pretty much treat each other like brothers and sisters.

Conversation with Elizabeth. "Miss Lori you have many bites, you should sleep with a net" proceeds to show me her bunk and mosquito net.
"I do sleep with the net on Elizabeth"
"Oh well you should"
"Miss Lori your bites are pink. Ours are brown"

Learning to play jacks with rocks was another adventure. I really need to find some rocks to practice. You take 5 small stones and throw them down. You pick up one than throw it up and grab one of the others and catch the first on the way down.
When you do all be one you go on to two and than four. Than you do something where you catch them on the back of your had and than in your closed fist. If you don't have many toys you make your own.

Yeabsira is the name of two boys. One is a frist grader and the other about 3. Little one fell asleep at supper the other night. Larger one is wipeing thie table. When he comes to his brothers section he grabs him lightly by the ear and say wake up. Little one sits up by reflex really still asleep. When his brother finishes wiping he presses the little guys head down again.

Often I tell a child something they don't understand. English is coming for all of them but not their first language. Fast and furious conversation occurs in Amharic and the one with the best English will consult with me again until they are all understanding.

I feel I am already in love with many of these kids and will leave a large part of my heart here.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Lori for the fun stories. I can almost see you in these situations. Now I think you can see why we are anxious to return to Tanzania for a longer stay!! You will get a real dose after 2 months and you will indeed leave MUCH of your heart there. The children are so well behaved yet so full of life and love. It is indeed a gift to be there. I should have told you about Vitamin B6. It keeps the mosquitoes from biting you. If you can find any, take one tablet a day and you will be amazed at the lack of bites. I am envious of your wonderful experience. Thanks for the blogging.

    ReplyDelete