Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Expectations

This is Malawi, a rented household of some sort in the city of Blantyre will be my next home.
Right now we are at SIM USA headquarters in Charlotte, NC participating in SIM Sendoff and Security Training. This is our final real training requirement. The remaining to do list is a couple of online lecture based classes on theology for me and a list of books to read for both of us. Beyond that we wait the mechanizations of Malawian Government to process our temporary work permit. As soon as we receive that which could come at any point we can set a departure date and book tickets to depart.

All this means that I have started to think about what to expect in this new home. I am not really sure if I will be working a regular office schedule of 8 or 9 to 5 in my position as personnel coordinator.
I don't know what my new "house" will look like, space, furnishings, what it will take to make it a home. I don't know what my language training will look like. I know we need to learn some basic Chichewa, but not a lot about how it's going to happen, except that it's not a formal language school. I also have realized this week how important it is to learn a little more about the culture of Malawi before I get that. Is it appropriate to wear my hair down or is up more acceptable, how do you handle greetings, how do you act around people of the opposite gender. I have a few more things to explore beyond the wearing of long skirts.

This week I have talked to a few people who have visited Blantyre fairly recently. I got a few tidbits of information to add to my meager store of knowledge. One piece is that I will probably only have access to about 8 hours of electricity a day. I was hoping and believing it might be more like 20 hours a day. I can deal with that but it's an adjustment to my thought process.

I also am adjusting my thoughts about laundry. I believe I will have access to a washing machine. I have very minimal hope of a dryer. I have heard differing reports and am wondering what the true story is about bugs laying eggs in my wet clothes while they are drying. This is a real issue and they supposedly hatch and burrow into your skin. Not a pleasant thought. Some say drying clothes indoors prevents this completely, some say no no no you must iron everything to include socks and undergarments if you don't dry in a machine. Humm this seems like something I need to know.

Trying to wrap my mind around all this is a challenge. However this weekend I have been reminded that my identity is in Christ. Lacrae performs a pretty striking song about this. The chorus is
I'm not the shoes I wear
I'm not the clothes I buy
I'm not the house I live in
I'm not the car I drive, no
I'm not the job I work
You can't define my worth
By nothing on God's green earth
My identity is found in Christ, is found in Christ
However I have to dig deeper and rest more securely in Christ then just my shoes and clothes. . .
I have to define my whole self in HIM in a way that cannot be shaken by my new culture, my diverse work mates and team or anything else I come up against in my new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment