Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Rafiki Life

So after 2 full days here I have some ideas about how Rafiki Uganda works.
Everything is structured except playtime when the kids let loose a bit.
The children here all seem to have a well developed sense of humor that I feel we will see more of within a few days. This was our second night in the girls dorm reading and visiting. They were much more relaxed tonight and asked many questions. They make me smile because they smile with their whole faces.
I am impressed with the level of education/behavior sophistication I see in these kids at this point. Many are getting music lesson either in piano or a band or orchestra instrument. They seem to enjoy this. I heard a lot of piano practice today as I worked in the library.
We eat with the children in the evening. With ourselves and other volunteers and such at lunch. Noon meal is traditional Ugandan fair. So far that has been two lunches of beans and rice. Tasty food but not at all spicy. Ted has been pleased with the mildness. Evening meals have been Sunday chicken dinner which was the noon meal, fish with sauce and rice, pineapple (fresh picked and amazing) and avocado salad, and tonight liver with a sauce, boiled potatoes, cooked split peas, and fresh papaya.
I am assuming I will enjoy evening meals more than noon. Some of the other starches here are coming up and I will see how I like these unfamiliar items.
Lots to keep up busy. I am working on preschool art, some library stuff and grading papers on child development for RICE, the teacher education component of Rafiki. Ted has been messing with the computer lab. He found a fix for something today so he is pleased about that.
Now I am waiting to see the monkeys I hear pretty regularly, and to get acquainted with more of the children.

No comments:

Post a Comment