Sunday, June 15, 2014

Blessings all around me

So felt blessed and thankful for things accomplished and friendships founded in Uganda. It was hard to say good bye to some. I will continue to pray for my little friend Nisha. She is in a less than ideal family situation. Yesterday I went to talk to Patty Lafage and she assured me again that Ethiopian Air is wonderful and no one would confiscate my dreadfully overweight luggage. She was right.
I was supposed to be allowed one checked bag at 20 kilograms and on carry on at 10. The carryon was close to what was allowed by checked bag was probably 60 lbs, which is way over 20 kilograms which is about 44. They checked and didn't say anything about the weight so I didn't either. I had worried about security flying an African Airline. Security was tight. My carry on's were x-ray screened twice. I am pretty sure that is the most rigorous I have ever seen security.
I got on the plane feeling peaceful. Than an hour later we landed in Kenya. Not a place I wanted to be in light of recent terrorism there. I guess I was not the only one who didn't hear this was a planned stop to add passengers because there was a lot of confusion. However we did get underway to Addis after a while and the snack that we got was really a very adequate supper with well seasoned poached chicken breast, cold slaw a bun, and tomato and cucumber slices. Such American sort of food. I and my stomach were thankful. I am a little worn out on beans, or peas and rice.
Arrived safely in Addis, tired but confident having been through Bole airport before. Got quickly through and transported and settled at the Jupiter Hotel where they took very good care of me. I even got to upload some pictures from Uganda this morning after eating to much breakfast including croissants. YUM
Got here to Rafiki Village about noon and unpacked a little while watching for the residents to come from church. Guess what? They really do remember me and wanted to hug me and for me to read with them and sing songs I taught them last summer. Even little Adonay who was just 2 last summer remembered me and had to have 2 hugs. Miss Elisabeth for whom I refrained from chopping off my hair for this summer says it is beautiful. How can I not love that.
I am mostly unpacked and eager to play some now. Have looked over my work schedule and it is wonderful. I have lovely students to tutor, Books to read and process, Children to read to and play with. Counting my blessings more than twice today!

No comments:

Post a Comment