Thursday, June 19, 2014

That looks like the angel of God

Both here in Ethiopia and while in Uganda I have noticed how natural it is for the children to speak of God.
Last night after supper I was walking with one of the P.2 or second grade boys. There was a hole in the cloud cover with sunbeams shining through. It was quite striking and beautiful. My companion told me it looked like an Angel of God. He talked on about how it was moving with us. Than told me he thought that was something Noah might have seen after the flood had dried, along with a rainbow of course. He than went on to talking about football which is always a hot topic and more so because they have a pretty new playing field with real goals and one of the male teachers does a weekly organized practice with them.

When I visited Eden Cottage the boys sang for me. 3 verses of Holy Holy Holy from memory. It was last weeks hymn of the week so was sung at morning assembly daily. They obviously absorbed a lot.

I am struck too here by how much the same in stature and appearance many of the children look a whole year since I have seen them. Working with a few one on one and seeing how they behave in school and at play appearance is not everything. They have gained so much ability in reading, and phonics and sharing and taking turns.

Today at lunch the 3 kindergarten girls all wanted to sit by me. Segen ended up the one who was one seat off and there was no pouting or discussion. I told her she should come sit on my lap for a bit when the meal was over because I was so impressed that she had not fussed about where to sit. I am also happy that she is not one of the Kg kids who needs tutoring. Her phonics are coming nicely and she has greatly improved English language skills. The first graders this year are sailing along in reading and the second graders have made great improvements. This is no small thing because they also learn Amharic letters, sound and spelling etc. and some Oromo. I think they are amazing.

So to me it seems like God's angels and spirit spend a lot of time here showering many blessings.
Feeling blessed myself to see them first hand.


1 comment:

  1. I love the message of your post. What a blessing to have helped last summer and now to see the progress! What your are seeing about their relationship with God is so prevalent across all the Villages Of Rafiki. These children have a deep love and understanding of who God is. These Villages are doing an amazing job of raising educated yet God fearing children!! Enjoy the rest of your stay.. I can see your heart will remain there!

    ReplyDelete