Sunday, July 10, 2016

Malawian Insights

So I saw a couple of things today that I found unique.
We went to church in Mzuzu.
The service was in a combination of the native language and English.
No one was at the front of the church but hymnals were passed out and someone would call a number for the hymn and then we would sing it.Chechiwa which is the main native language here. I could follow the progress in the hymal but I can't begin to pronounce the words correctly. The words are long on consonants and short on vowels.
After singing for a while there was a short break and communion was served and then we sang hymns in English, Then another short break and we had a sermon delivered in English and translated to Chechiwa line by line. Very simple teaching on obedience.
I have not been to a church where no one leads anything before and no one is in front until the sermon is given.

Traveling both to and from church we encountered accidents.  There were no police or official vehicles and the disabled vehicles were not cleared from the road.
They had however set leafy branches on the road before and after the disabled vehicles. I guess this is what you do when there are no cones or traffic flares.

I also have been sad that there is no salt available at meals here in the village. I learned today that most people here run high blood pressure so it is not allowed in the dining hall.

Tomorrow will be the first day of the new school term. The children are excited. I can tell they are becoming more comfortable with me as they are asking more insightful questions and the little boys Praise and Emmanuel wanted hugs tonight. Mwowy is the youngest in the village and is much doted upon he is not in need of attention so has not made friends with me at this point. It will come.

I heard it is 95 today in ND. I doubt it warmed to 60 here today. A bit chilly.

No comments:

Post a Comment