Sunday, July 17, 2016

Rafiki Village Malawi, thoughts

So after over a week I am getting tuned in to the rhythm of  life here. Friday was a half school day and Saturday 30+ children played in a lawn and table tennis tournament. For the rest the half day and Saturday are a play day. They all have chores on Saturday but division of labor with 8-10 in the cottage makes short work of that.
Like other Rafiki villages the gazebos and the front porches of the cottage are a center of activity.
I went to share string for friendship bracelets Saturday afternoon. It's amazing to me that I have 70 or so bundles of thread and 30 or so kids around me and they wait patiently while I explain what to do to make a bracelet to each child and let them pick a color. No pushing or shoving and no whining. A few would like to make many many rather then just one but they are polite about it and I can trust them to tell me if they have already made one or not.
Also read and played some hand clapping games. These times of informal activity are a treat.

Meals here are served family style but myself and the other mini missionaries are served by the kitchen. The children mostly as me the same questions each night. I have not made it around to every table yet so . . . I was surprised because tonight Linda asked me my favorite musician. I of course said Toby Mac which I was not surprised to learn is unknown here in the village. She said her favorite is Handel because she loves Handel's Messaih. I gather a large contingent of the residents preformed this acapella over the Christmas break and that it was wonderful. I ammended my musician choice and explained contemporary Christian radio and why I like the song "Tonight"

The rhythm here is to rise early and retire early. I am now tuned in to bedtime at 9 and rising around 6. It's nice to be past jet lag and moving toward a routine. Still not in love with nsima.


No comments:

Post a Comment